»You can get more with a kind Word and a Gun than you can with a kind Word alone.« – Al Capone
The book gives an atmospheric and informative insight into Chicago during the Roaring Twenties. It tells the story of a rowdy, pugnacious, hard-drinking town and its people in search of freedom and fun after the Great War. It explains the causes of prohibition and describes the seeds that were laid that brought gangs into being.
Big gangsters are introduced one at a time: these texts are filled with biographical facts and intriguing anecdotes. Additional gang chronicles and stories of corrupt cops, judges etc. are skillfully interwoven. Last, but certainly not least, this all cumulates in the rise and fall of the boss of all bosses – Al Capone!
This luxury edition with its fine gangster-poster will be a sought-after gem for all those who:
1. love to read crime novels
2. love Hollywood’s film noir
3. love smoking cigars
4. love to be entertained in an intelligent, sophisticated, informative and visually beautiful way.
In short: a book not just for men!
»Gangsters. The Bosses of Chicago«
A Book by Robert Nippoldt
not published in English so far
144 pages, 35 x 23 cm, clothbound hardcover,
full color illustrations, with poster
- Red Dot Design Award, 2005, Essen
- Award from the German Designer Club, 2004, Frankfurt
- Stiftung Buchkunst, Shortlist, 2005, Frankfurt
“A wonderful panorama of the gangster world in the 20s ... There hasn’t been such a beautiful and such a bloody book in a long time.”
– Dr. Paul Kersten, NDR Kulturjournal, November 2005